I have three “beefs” with store bought salad dressing, I’ve listed them below in order of importance. (My importance, anyway.)
1. The bottled ranch DOES NOT taste the same as the ranch you get at restaurants. If I wanted vinegar in my ranch, I would add it. It turns out, I do not.
2. They are FILLED with sugar and preservatives. I hate hidden sugar!
3. They have a TON of calories.
So why not make your own salad dressing with less calories, sugar and preservatives? This recipe is super easy. You basically throw all the ingredients into the blender and go to town. It also turns out that I do like vinegar in my Vinaigrettes. 🙂
Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
3 small limes
1 bunch of cilantro
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pepper to taste
1 dash cumin
You will need a blender.
1. First zest, then juice limes into the blender.
2. Add a handful of the cilantro bunch to the blender. You can add the stems too, as they actually add more flavor than the leaves. Add more or less depending on your love for cilantro.
3. Add vinegar, salt, and pepper to the blender.
4. Puree into a nice liquid.
5. With the blender running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil.
6. Store in a jar or container in the fridge for about a week.