It would appear that summer is nearly upon us. Summer is just neat. The warm weather, the copious amounts of fresh veggies and fruits, and let’s not forget all the great things to do outdoors. If you’re anything like us, summer ends up being one of the busiest seasons. Personally, I try to golf just about everyday. The problem is I get so excited about golfing that I sometimes forget to properly nourish myself prior to a round. Normally, it isn’t a big deal, but sometimes, when the stakes are high, I can get a little tired around the 15th hole. The next thing you know, I’m duffing shots all over the place and I lose the round to my dad by one stroke, and he gloats by saying, “That’s too bad.” Well, this is the year that I say no more! I will eat a nutritious snack prior to the back nine! Thankfully, I have a great wife who makes me healthy treats to take on the course. These fruit and nut bars are easy to make, packed with healthy energy, cheaper than your average energy bar, and super tasty. I recommend eating one of these before you say, “double or nothing” on the back nine.
Blueberry Muffin Fruit and Nut Bars
Time: about 30 minutes
1 cup dried dates (try to find no sugar added)
1 cup dried blueberries (try to find no sugar added)
1 1/2 cup walnuts
2 tablespoons peanut butter
1. Add the dates and blueberries to a food processor and pulse until well chopped.
2. Add the walnuts and pulse until well chopped.
3. Add the peanut butter and pulse until well mixed.
4. Turn mixture onto a baking with parchment paper.
5. Form into bars and chill. Make sure to pack the mixture tightly, and that the bars are not too thin. Otherwise, they will fall apart.
Serving size: 1 bar, 241 calories, 16 g fat, 22.4g carbohydrates, 7.3g protein